1. We live in a Global Village All good brands like to land a spot on the global map. What’s more, the world is watching 24/7. So creating an irresistible brand means you’re going to have to speak directly to the big wide world out there — with intention, in your voice — so people can hear you, and sense that you ‘are who you say you are.’ So what’s the tone and energy around your brand?
2. Storytelling is the Currency of our Time Share your Brand Story with the world in a new, provocative way. Connect the dots, look at the defining moments in your life and your business, and what led you to the very spot you are standing in, right now. There’s a narrative right there…in that journey, and the more it connects emotionally with people, the better. Because a true, heart-felt story resonates deeply. So don’t keep them at arm’s length. They’re longing to connect.
3. Curiosity and Willingness? There’s nothing quite like the desire to go to new places – and see the future. It helps if you are a nimble and agile thinker as it keeps you alert to new opportunities as they fall in front of you – and the inclination to act on them. Understand that people can sense and pick up on this desire. So my question for you is: Are you willing, curious and alert? PS complacency is a killer.
4. Peripheral Vision The ability to see outside the lines of sight is critical right now. In life and in business. It helps to shift your perspective, see the other person’s point of view. It often brings compassion, a heightened sensitivity and the ability to put yourself in someone else’s shoes. This kind of empathy and understanding goes a long way in building trust and meaningful relationships in your business. Are you understanding what other people’s issues are and how you can make a difference? Can they see that twinkle in your eye?
5. Desire to Go Big, Bold and Provocative In this over-saturated marketplace, one of the best ways to soar above your competition is by creating your own signature brand that will make you stand out. Focus on what makes you truly different. Then translate that across your business. So how brave and fearless are you when it comes to showing up bigger and bolder? This is not the time to be small. PS If you can brand with heart, and with intention, you’re going to be miles ahead of your competition.
6. Take the Role of Brand Guardian Seriously You are the guardian of your brand. You’d be amazed at the number of business owners who are not paying attention to their brand. Brands like to be nurtured need your attention 24/7. You brand is never done, so to speak. It needs to change, grow and evolve just like everything else. So what kind of Brand Guardian are you? Because if you nurture your brand, people will be able to tell, and feel the difference. Guaranteed.
7. Wear the Hat of Master of Serious Play Believe it or not, brands have a tendency to want to play, live out loud and have a bit of fun along the way! It’s the one characteristic that is hugely attractive to people/clients and it will certainly keep them paying attention! Of course, it’s about keeping a fine balance between being professional and playful so make sure you can walk that tightrope with grace. PS if you’re not having enough fun with your brand, go out and start addressing this issue immediately. It will pay off, I promise.
8. Knock the Socks off your Clients (and your Competition) There is something very valuable about delivering what you say you will. It doesn’t happen every day, by the way. On the other hand, if you over deliver and add value, your clients will see the difference, and be asking for more. So how are you knocking the socks off your customers? (Because your competitors will be hearing about it.)
9. Fact: We live in a Design-Driven Culture You better get used to the fact that design is here to stay. If you’re not paying attention to the value of the design aesthetic in your business, you’re going to be hurting the bottom line. In fact, research tells us that our brains process images/visuals 60,000 faster than just plain text. So how much attention are you giving to being the visual storyteller and visual thinker in your business? Look around. See what appeals to you visually and then bring some of that magic back into your business.
10. What’s the Buzz around Your Brand? All good brands love a lot of attention. They weren’t created to sit in the back seat let alone be apologetic. There’s something totally irresistible about being truly authentic and credible. Use language that is engaging, real and true. Get out of your comfort. Expand your boundaries. Dare a little. You will find it’s worth it.
@2015 Mary van de Wiel | www.ZingYourBrand.com