To get a glimpse into your Future Brand, here are three questions, from a Brand Therapist’s point of view, to get you started:
1. How many of you wish you had a magic wand right now? Hands up?
2. How many of you wish you could predict your future? Find out exactly what’s ahead for you in 2011? Hands Up?
3. How many of you are impatient, unsure and irritable that the direction you think you’re supposed to be following is just not making itself clear – enough? Hands up?
Yes, yes and, yes? Keep reading.
No? I’d recommend sticking around anyhow. A good magic fairy with a decent wand is hard to come by these days. Instead, what you’re getting here is a Brand Therapist stepping up to the plate recommending one idea that works when it comes to working out what your Future Brand looks like.
Clue: Imagine your Future Self has already done everything that you want to be doing (as it relates to your brand and your business.) Your Future Self can inform you on all things. Listen to him/her. Because they’ll suggest ideas, directions, things to do. They’ll even give you very informed clues regarding what your Future Brand is going to look like. It’s a matter of getting into the right space and asking. (Feeling optimistic?!)
Imagine this step-by-step scenario:
BRAND THERAPIST: OK. This is really about seeing the future of your personal brand or your business thrlugh a different kind of lens. (Lens is the critical word, here.) Even thlugh, right now, I know some of you are asking yourself, “What in the hell is she talking about?”
YOU: Yup…. You got that right.
BRAND THERAPIST: Well, this could be a new idea for some of you. Not so, for others.
YOU: Er …(detect hesitant tone?…)
BRAND THERAPIST: You’ve been told before to trust your intuition. Listen to your gut, yes? Are you are doing that?
YOU: Hmmm…(detect bewildered tone?…)
BRAND THERAPIST: If you want to know the future of your personal brand or business brand in 2011 and you’re not having much luck chasing the magic fairy, you need to spend a bit of extra time and energy here. Willing to do that?
YOU: Need to know more, please…(irritation creeping in…)
BRAND THERAPIST: No problemas. This is quite simple. If you can talk to your Future Self, you’ll get the kinds of answers you’ve been looking for. Willing to try this?
Select a spot in your home, office, study or a place that resonates with you. It has to feel special. Either it gets the sun, or there’s a great view, or it has some other kind of meaning for you. (Found the spot yet?)
YOU: Yup (…irritation starting to seep in, again…)
BRAND THERAPIST: Good. Now create an imaginary circle on that special spot you’ve selected. ‘See yourself’ actually stepping into the circle. Got that?
YOU: Er…the dog has a round bed – a kind of mat. Can I step on that?
BRAND THERAPIST: Nope. (sigh.) Keep thinking of the imaginary circle on your bare floorboards or carpet. PS Step into this circle with bare feet. (Say, three to four feet diameter.) Can you do that?
YOU: Can do.
BRAND THERAPIST: Great. So you’re in the circle. Despite the lighthearted tone here, I’m serious, kiddo. Because this is the circle and space from which you can access and talk to your Future Self.
YOU: What was that, again? (questioning tone…)
BRAND THERAPIST: To recap: We’re exploring here how to determine your Future Brand. I’m suggesting you start a conversation with your Future Self. Are we on the same track?
YOU: You bet…
BRAND THERAPIST: Excellent. Now here’s what happens next.
1. Remember this is your special circle where you are going to meet your Future Self.
2. It’s a special space where you have 1:1 access to your Future Self.
3. Enter this circle (bare feet) with a quiet mind. Be in a meditative state/frame of mind.
4. Get centered. Quieten down.
5. You’re going to start a conversation now with your Future Self. Bring one question that you would like an answer. Keep it simple for starters. (Don’t want to overwhelm.)
6. Be relaxed, informal. How about staring with “hi.” Then, stop. Breathe. Take this seriously because your Future Self has all the answers.
7. Ask your question. Doesn’t have to be out loud, of course. Then be quiet.
8. Listen again. Then listen some more. Getting some interesting new ideas?
FYI My special colleague, mentor and award-winning producer in LA shared this with me. She uses it. I use it. Many others use it. Anything you want to know about your Future Self and Future Brand is available to you 24/7. Your Future Self will share mindful, remarkable and amazing insights. All you have to do? Just ask.
Author: Mary van de Wiel is best known for her global expertise when it comes to coaxing out the real power in brands to dramatically increase sales. Van is founder and Creative Director of ZingYourBrand.com. She is the author of soon-to-be-published Dead Brand Walking: A Brand Therapist’s Viewpoint. Follow her on Twitter.
This post was published on Dan Schawbel’s award-winning blog on January 16th, 2011 at 1:30 pm